Proprietor’s Map

Although as early as 1641 there were colonial settlers in Stamford, it was not until 1731 that the proprietors of Connecticut turned their eyes to the western part of the state. In May of that year the governor and General Assembly met in May in Hartford to lay out the western lands. The whole was laid out into towns and the western half became the towns of Kent (including Warren) Sharon, Cornwall, Goshen, Norfolk, Canaan and Salisbury.

Please click on image for larger view.
Signatures of the Town Proprietors