Warren was settled in 1737 as part of the Town of Kent. In 1750 a separate ecclesiastical society called the Society of East Greenwich was established and a church was founded in 1756. In 1786 Warren was incorporated as a separate town.
Even though for most of its history Warren has been an agricultural community, by 1810 Warren became known as an educational center with seven district schools and an academy which produced 15 ministers and educators.
Over the last two and a half centuries Warren’s population has fluctuated widely. By 1810 the town’s population had increased to 1100, but with the decline of agriculture and the local iron industry it reached an all-time low in 1930 with only 303 inhabitants.
Today residential development and the recreational facilities of Lake Waramaug have boosted the population to almost 1400, but its location in the Litchfield Hills has allowed it to retain its rural and historic character.
Old Home Days