Warren was settled in 1737 as part of the Town of Kent.  In 1750 a separate ecclesiastical society called the Society of East Greenwich was established and a church was founded in 1756. In 1786 Warren was incorporated as a separate town.

 

The entrance of the Warren Historical Society.
Please visit us at 7 Sackett Hill Road. The entrance is in the rear of the building.
The office is open from 9 – 12 pm on Mondays and by appointment.

 

Glimpses into Warren’s almost 225 years of history are captured in the museum collection. Photos, objects, diaries and genealogies tell the stories of Warren’s families, homes, business and role in American history.

 

The Brick School and One-Room Schooling
2 PM Sunday,
February 9 at Lower Meeting Room
Town Hall
Read More…

The Brick School also called North School has the distinction of being the single-room schoolhouse with the longest record of continuous operation in the State of Connecticut.

Discover, celebrate and preserve Warren’s History for the benefit of its citizens and surrounding communities through its collections, programs and exhibits.

 

Follow us on Facebook to keep up with our ever changing events and news regarding the Warren Historical Society.

 

Join because you love Warren. Donate because every piece of history we save expands our knowledge of those who came before. Volunteer because it’s the only way you can touch the past and reach the future. Become a member today!

 

Warren Historical Society
Warren Historical Society
Even before there was a location called District No. 4 College Farms was a recognized locale. 300 acres was laid out in Norfolk, Canaan, Goshen, Cornwall and Kent whose rents would support the newly formed Chair of Ministry. Eleazer Curtiss, Jr.'s lease expire on 21 April 2756 and he was required to pay 16 oz of silver every 20th of April.
Warren Historical Society
Warren Historical Society
Thank you Rebecca Neary for a thought-provoking program on saving the legacy of the Brick School for future generations.
Warren Historical Society
Warren Historical Society
Please join us next Sunday, February 9 at 2 pm for a look at the Brick School both past and present.
Warren Historical Society
Warren Historical Society
One of the most significant events to affect Warren's Northeast District was the damming of the west branch of the Shepaug River. After Bantam refused water rights to the City of Waterbury, Robert A. Cairns [1859-1937], Waterbury's city engineer, turned to the Shepaug watershed in Woodville. He was granted permission by the CT State Legislature and in 1933 the dam was completed. Besides providing water for the City of Waterbury, the dammed river covered the Petersville section of Warren with its store, post office and houses and flooded homesteads along both sides of the river to the Cornwall line and beyond.
Cairns considered the development of the waterworks system in the Litchfield Hills his greatest accomplishment. The dam, accessible by Valley Rd. is named the Robert A. Cairns Reservoir Dam.
Warren Historical Society
Warren Historical Society
The Northeast District had a school from at least 1797, but school houses opened and closed as the student population warranted. In 1857 it was one of three school in town which was classified as "comfortable," and distinct in having a privy. In 1871 the Northeast School moved to its location just east of the bridge on Hardscrabble Road. It closed in the early 20th Century, but reopened for a short period from 1911 to 1916. Marion Stone who later married Charles Perkins taught from 1911 to 1912 and Evelyn Tanner thereafter.
Warren Historical Society
Warren Historical Society
The Northeast District is the location of the oldest stone house in Warren. Built in 1799 by Benjamin Sackett from granite quarried just north of the homestead, it was inherited by Sackett's granddaughter Emily Sackett and her husband, J.H. Comstock. It remained in the family for more than a century. In 1926 Ludlow Melius purchased it and called it Reverie Farm. Eventually it became the home and studio of artist, Cleve Grey and his father-in-law, Alexander Liberman.