Connecticut 169 Club

Sunday, January 27, 2019 Warren Town Hall
Connecticut author Marty Podskoch will read from his new book, Connecticut 169 Club, a compilation of local history
East Hampton, CT Author and Historian Marty Podskoch will share snippets of his latest book, The Connecticut 169 Club: Your Passport and Guide to Exploring Connecticut.  Mr. Podskoch will guide us off the interstate and onto Connecticut backroads to meet and merge with fascinating neighbors and uncover cool curiosities tucked into the 169 towns and cities in the Nutmeg State. WHS Vice President was Warren’s contributor. Bring your own anecdotes to add to a lively discussion.
Refreshments and book signings will follow the talk.

Civil War Veterans


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Most of Warren’s Civil War veterans served in the Second Connecticut Heavy Artillery. Known as the Litchfield Regiment it assembled in September 1862 and trained at Camp Dutton in Litchfield. Minor Strong enlisted in August of that year with his cousin, Homer Curtiss . He eventually achieved the rank of sergeant.
After his military service he ran the clover mill in the Lake District and raised a family with his wife, Lucy Curtiss.
He died in February of 1922 and his buried in New Warren Cemetery.

Holiday on the Hill

Saturday, December 1 the Warren Historical Society will be in the Community Room of the Warren Public Library.
On display will be holiday items from the Historical Society’s and private collections including antique toys and Christmas stories from long ago.
While younger Warrenites are creating their letters to Santa, have a sip of Smoking Bishop or dip into our Wassail bowl. Add to our collaborative sculpture or play Blockhead, a game created by master woodworker Larry Hendricks. Don’t let the kids have all the fun!

1918 – 2018 The Hundredth Anniversary of the End of World War I


In 1918 when Warren’s population numbered fewer than 350 more than 30 young men were either drafted or enlisted to serve in the war that was supposed to end all wars.
Howard Chappuis, just 23, the son of John  and Lillian, signed up in New Milford on August 25, 1918 and, despite a previous injury that rendered him unfit for combat, served in base hospitals until his discharge as a corporal on July 17, 1919.

The Old Burying Ground


The Old Warren Cemetery located north of the intersection of Kent and Cornwall Roads is one of Warren’s historic landmarks.  A gift from the first minister of the Warren Church, Sylvanus Osborn, the earliest burial was in 1755. In 1934 under a project of the Works Project Administration the standing monuments were transcribed. Findagrave.com, a web-based program, has photographs of about 45% of the monuments. There is no map of the interments, however, and there are over 900 of them. The goal of the Warren Historical Society is to create a map of the interments and to make sure that every monument has been photographed. In the next weeks we’re going to bring some tales from the Old Burying Ground, stories that the stones can tell about early Warren residents. Stay tuned. You might be surprised.

Independence Day Bell Ringing


Wednesday, July 4 at The Academy 8 Sackett Hill Road
Bell ringing on the 4th of July was the brainstorm of our first Vice President and second President, John Adams, who said on July 4, 1776, that the day should be celebrated by the ringing of bells. The custom, however, fell into disuse until 1963 when two famous Warren residents, Eric Sloane and Eric Hatch collaborated on an article entitled “Make Freedom Really Ring.” Connecticut Senator Abraham Ribicoff then proposed a resolution that called for the ringing of bells nationwide at 2 pm every July 4.
Bell ringing will be preceded by a reading of the Preamble of the Declaration of Independence.
Bells and refreshments will be available.
Come celebrate a Warren tradition!

Starr-dom


The Warren Historical Society display case has a new exhibit. In the year of the 200th Anniversary of the Warren Congregational Church Reverend Peter Starr’s life and times are featured. Please come have a look.

The Boulders Inn on Lake Waramaug

The Boulders Inn, located in Warren along Route 45, has reportdly be sold for $6 million for buildings and grounds. December 2013

In 1895 Nelson Mead built a cottage with a view of Lake Waramaug on 1000 acres which stretched from June Road to Tanner Hill. In 1901 the house was remodeled and a porch added. By 1903 Anna Mead Kellogg was the landowner and she built six cottages behind the main house and took in paying guests. Her daughter, Jane Lowe, opened the Boulders in 1951, The Boulders Inn on Lake Waramaug closed in early 2012.

LaGrotta Inn

Originally the home of Henry Stone, Frank LaGrotta, and his wife, Rose, purchased the farm on Rabbit Hill Rd. in 1913. Through additional land purchases and the acquisition of a Yale farm lease, the property swelled to 400 acres by the time the LaGrotta Inn opened in 1936.  Equipped with a 42 x 96 ft spring-fed swimming pool which Frank himself dug by hand, the inn welcomed guests until 1966.

Thanks to the amazing sleuthing of board member, Heather Blue Forstmann, attendees at the Sunday lecture met the Rev. Peter Starr, the Warren Church’s second minister. Born in the 18th Century, a graduate of Yale at just 16, British subject until converted to the Patriot cause and the force behind the construction of the church building which now stands in the center of Warren.

Look for upcoming programs which will explore faith in our northwest corner of Connecticut.

The Warren Historical Society has revamped its website! If you haven’t visited in a while, please take a look. http://warrencthistoricalsociety.org/ It’s being constantly  updated with our new discoveries and information about upcoming events!

Hattie Blackman


Happy New Year from the Warren Historical Society. This insert from 130 years ago celebrates the year 1888. It is from a scrapbook kept by Hattie Blackman, daughter of the Warren Church minister, Virgil Blackman who served in Warren from 1910 to 1914. His daughter and wife kept several scrapbooks and added memorabilia from 1889 to 1901. The collection of three scrapbooks was donated by Ruth Hopkins Borden, a descendant.

This is both an item from our virtual collection and a continuation of our series on the Inns and Taverns of Warren.
In 1886 the Norris family of Warren added to their Lakeview Farm house to accept seasonal guests and diners. This establishment changed hands only one more time before it became The Inn on Lake Waramaug under the management of the Combs Family. From 1951 to 1986 the Inn operated with the intention that all should have the opportunity to enjoy Lake Waramaug.


On Saturday evening, December 2nd the Town of Warren ushered in the holiday season with Christmas tree lighting, letters to Santa, rides on the Holiday Hay Wagon and more. The Warren Historical Society was there with supplies and ideas to make unique mantle or Christmas tree ornaments.

Be sure to visit the Warren Historical Society at Holiday on the Hill!
Calendar of Events
4:30 – 8 pm Community Center
Craft Fair and Festival of Trees
Ornament workshop
Santa Arrives
5:30 – 8 pm Chili Cook-off at Parish Hall
5:30 – 8 pm Letters to Santa at the Library
5:00 – 8 pm Stuff-A-Truck at the Fire House
5:00 – 8 pm Holiday Bonfire on the Community Field
Parking at Warren School, behind the Library, Academy and Church parking lots.
Please do not park in front of the Fire House doors.

On Saturday, November 18 at 9:30 A.M. at the Warren Community Center, 7 Sackett Hill Rd. the Warren Land Trust will be holding its Annual Meeting. Town Historian and Warren Historical Society curator, Ellen Paul, will provide a brief program on the Willis Tanner Farmland Preserve – and its namesake, who served as Warren’s First Selectman for over 30 years.  This 25 acre parcel is the newest addition to Warren’s preserved land. The program includes a walk around the field’s perimeter  just off of Above All Road. All are invited.  Contact us at [email protected]