Bordered on the west by the Town of Kent, the West District had a school no later than 1797 although it may have been rebuilt several times between then and its eventual closing. In 1850 the School visitors reported that “the summer term taught by Miss
Woodin was a model of order and industry and, if equaled was not excelled by any in this society.” The Warren School Society oversaw all the schools and a system of school visitors visited the schools annually to assess ability of teachers, length of terms and condition of buildings. As late as 1857 it still had no privy.
West School closed in 1913 and its students were assigned to Center School 2 miles to the east.